Painting has a decorative and protective function it makes staircases well-groomed, beautiful, protects against damaging factors, improves the strength characteristics, and enhances the fire protection properties of the materials.
For stairs painting, it is advisable to enlist the help of a professional painting company. It is a job that requires a lot of experience and high qualifications. UAB Painting, of course, know their job and do it 100% well. Contact us and Get a Free Quote for your stairs and landing painting ideas in Dublin.
Our services for the painting of wooden stairs include all the mandatory stages of surface preparation: sanding, filling, painting stairs railing, priming and application of several layers of the selected paint.
You should also take professional advice into account when choosing a product, for example:
- If your staircase is made of quality wood with a beautiful natural pattern, you should not paint over it. A semi-gloss or matt lacquer is a better option.
- If you live in a house, select lacquers that dry for a short time and do not release a strong and acrid smell when you paint the interior parts of the staircase.
- Long-lasting protection of the staircase from external influences as well as its beautiful appearance can be ensured by using only abrasion-resistant varnishes and paints.
- Glossy paints are too slippery for stairs. Which is very unsafe! Satin or semi-matt is better.
What you can and should cover a wooden staircase with?
When you walk into a building materials shop, you start to get lost. Therefore, it is important to know not only the types of these products, but also their features.
The most common options for painting stairs are:
Water or oil-based varnishes;
impregnators and mordants ;
There are 2 most popular types of stairs paint
- Acrylic. The advantages are odorless, quick drying, non-toxic, long life and a wide range of colors. Acrylics do not burn out in the sun and allow the material to "breathe".
- Oil-based. This kind of paint for wooden stairs in the house is not an ideal option. The pluses include the low cost and low consumption of the product. The downside of the medal is low wear resistance, the presence of harmful substances in the composition, a long drying period. All in all, not recommended.
Varnishes are used to enhance the natural beauty of wood. When choosing the right type, pay attention to the construction material and the conditions in which it is used. Varnishes, like paints, come in several varieties:
- Alcohol-based. This coating protects the staircase against biological and mechanical damage. But its significant disadvantage is the low degree of moisture resistance. It is therefore best used as a base coat to give the wood the right shade.
- Alkyd and alkyd-urethane. They are used for exterior and interior constructions. Solid transparent film with low-visible shade serves as a reliable barrier against moisture and other negative factors.
- Formaldehyde. The structure will become more resistant to wear and tear. The resins in the composition improve the adhesion of the lacquer with the wood. The only drawback is the toxicity and the characteristic smell that quickly disappears, but requires a respirator to be worn during application.
- Polyester. Once cured, they form a hard, durable film that protects the staircase from moisture and other negative influences. If you want to make your construction shine, use polyester varnish.
- Epoxy. These are two-component solutions that are used with hardeners. They prevent the structure from being destroyed by moisture, alkalis and give it mechanical strength.
- Polyurethane. They are characterized by a high degree of abrasion and resistance to mechanical stress. The high price of the varnish is justified by the long service life and high performance characteristics.
- Yacht varnishes. The hard and durable coating of varnish has good elasticity. It means that when a construction is deformed the varnish layer does not peel and crack. Due to its composition, yacht lacquer is wear-resistant by wear resistance, good fungus resistance, increased resistance to UV rays and moisture resistance.
This type of impregnation is characterized by its antiseptic properties. A varnish is often applied on top of the stain as an additional layer. However, attention must be paid to the compatibility of these products. Oil or wax based stain is best suited for wooden stairs. Sometimes the stain may also contain a coloring agent that gives the material a specific color.
For staircase painting, it is advisable to enlist the help of a specialist staircase painting company. It is a job that requires a lot of experience and high qualifications. UAB Painting, of course, know their job and do it 100% well. Contact us and get a free quote for painting your stairs in Dublin.